Algae Bloom Detected On Hess Lake poses risks for pets, people
July 8, 2021 – District Health Department #10 (DHD#10) was notified by the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (MDHHS) that algae blooms were detected on Hess Lake in Newaygo County.
After learning about what looked like algae blooms on Hess Lake, the United States Geological Survey (USGS) took samples on June 28 which were sent to the MDHHS lab where results came back positive for microcystin, an algal toxin released by some types of algae in lakes or rivers. Algae blooms can form when there are high nutrient levels within bodies of water along with warm temperatures. Additional testing will take place the week of July 12, and MDHHS is notifying homeowners about the initial test results.
“Algae blooms look like a green mat right on top of the water that smells bad and has a gelatinous texture to them,” stated Tom Reichard, Environmental Health Director for DHD#10. “The algal toxins that are released can be harmful to aquatic life, pets, and humans so it is very important to avoid these areas.”
Below are some steps to take when near waterways:
Contact with algae blooms can cause minor illness in humans but can be fatal to pets. Therefore, it is recommended that people keep their pets out of the water that shows any signs of algae blooms.
People and pets can experience the following symptoms after exposure to algae blooms:
If you think you have been exposed to algae blooms, take the following precautions: