Current COVID Concerns Cause Cancellation...Again
“To be Irish is to know that in the end the world will break your heart.”-Daniel Patrick Moynihan
From our friends at the Michigan Irish Music Festival:
It is almost unbearable to imagine another festival season without live Irish and Celtic music. However, based on the current guidance for live events provided by state officials, the continued uncertainty surrounding the pandemic, and the present level of active COVID-19 cases in Michigan, the Michigan Irish Music Festival board of directors has made the difficult decision to cancel the 2021 festival.
We are unable to proceed with producing a festival in the format that we have established and on the level of quality our patrons, volunteers, musicians, vendors, and sponsors have come to expect. Our board continues to monitor Michigan restrictions, health guidelines, and capacity limits to determine what type of events will be permissible in the future and we will plan accordingly going forward.
A variety of details were considered by the board, including the unknown timeline for allowing large gatherings and the comfort level of patrons who wish to attend. While we expect local businesses and some events to begin reopening before the year’s end, it is unclear whether mass gatherings like the Michigan Irish Music Festival will be permitted to operate at full capacity, without restrictions, before September. First and foremost, the safety of our volunteers, patrons, musicians, and vendors was the most important factor in this decision.
The information surrounding COVID-19 changes on a daily basis. The successful execution of the festival involves significant upfront planning and logistics with attendees, vendors, and entertainers from across Michigan, the country, and around the world. So, it is important that we make this decision now due to the countless details and months of planning required to produce the Michigan Irish Music Festival. With a large contingency of our entertainment coming from Ireland, Scotland, and Nova Scotia, the additional unknown specifics of travel regulations also contribute to the timing of this decision.
For those who have purchased tickets in advance, we will be in contact with you via email within the next 14 days. We will also be communicating with our sponsors, volunteers, musicians, and vendors to provide them with details regarding this decision.
Everyone is facing challenging times right now. In order to ensure the long-term success of our event and organization, this difficult decision was the best plan to allow us to move forward. Until we can meet again, please follow us on Facebook and our website, www.michiganirish.org, for updates and details.
Please stay safe, stay healthy, and know we all look forward to celebrating with you in the near future.
“May you have the hindsight to know where you've been,
The foresight to know where you are going,
And the insight to know when you have gone too far”
- Irish Blessing